Millions of people suffer from back pain, which can range from mild to debilitating. There are a variety of factors that can cause back pain including diseases, poor nutrition, and improper lifting techniques. Oftentimes, back pain can be relieved with proper medical care and lifestyle changes.
The information in this article provides you with valuable advice on how you can improve your quality of life by understanding the symptoms, causes and treatments of back pain.
1. If you read for extended amounts of time every day – either for personal pleasure or professional reasons – then you can avoid back pain resulting from neck strain by keeping your head level and bringing the documents up to that level.
2. Keeping your head bent or raised at unnatural angles for extended amounts of time can cause strain.
So having a document hanger or holding your materials up instead of setting them on a desk or in your lap can help to prevent cumulative neck injuries related to these posture no-no’s.
3. Learning to lift properly can save yourself a lot of back pain in the future. Learning to lift from the knees instead of just bending over to lift will greatly reduce the strain on your back.
This will keep your back from being over exerted and help you keep your back from developing pain earlier.
4. Back pain got you down get up and move. Sitting still or lying down will cause your muscles to stiffen and tighten up.
Although you shouldn’t twist or turn try doing some safe exercises at least 15 minutes a day; consult your doctor to see what exercisers are safe for you and your back.
5.While anesthetic and steroid shots are common for back pain, this is not effective for everyone. In addition, prolonged episodes of this can actually sometimes cause more back pain to the person.
However, these methods are popular and necessary for treatment of back pain in some scenarios. Again, it is your physician that will determine the treatment.
6. To avoid back pain when reading documents, hold the documents in a fashion whereby you can read with your eyes parallel with the document.
Looking and reading documents sideways or up and downward will place a lot of strain on the upper back muscles causing you to have back pain.
7. Some back injuries can be so severe that they cause paralysis, which can only be treated with surgery. Some back conditions require surgery. Either trauma to the back or disease are the main causes for this surgery.
8. If you have to be in the sitting position for a large portion of your day, be sure that your chair has a comfortable pad in the back.
This will help give your back the support that it needs, which in turn, will help to prevent any unnecessary back pains.
9. In order to reduce back pain, learn how to relax. This is much different from resting.
Resting is simply taking pressure away physically, relaxing is relieving the tension and stress mentally. Try closing your eyes and thinking of happy and non-stressful things to help relieve the overall tension in your body.
10. One of the absolute best ways to strengthen your back is to keep it flexible. Yoga, Pilates or Tai Chi are some methods that will help you.
Two to four times a week, alternated with strength training will put you in tip top shape. Give it some time and soon you will hopefully forget the pain that had you lying on the couch.
Back pain is a common affliction experienced by people of all ages. Depending on the severity of the pain, it can have a crippling effect on your daily existence.
However, there are many effective ways to treat the cause of your pain and reduce its intensity. From medications to meditation, managing your back pain is as simple as following the tips and hints provided in this article.